BTG FORUMSPage :1234567
Forums -> News & Announcements -> BeatTheGeek Tower Defence VERSION 2.0
The GeekMessage
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 12/22/2020 3:55:12 PM

Hey all,

As many of you know this tower defense game I made was written in Flash. Adobe announced years ago that Flash will be discontinued and will be removed from all browsers at the end of 2020. So that pretty much means playing this game in the next 10 days or so will be very difficult. Odds are you'll be able to find a browser that has not been updated lately and still play, but it will be harder for sure. In any case, I'll keep the site running in the chance people find a way to continue playing.

To be honest, I have no idea what to expect come the new year. I guess we'll see.

Anyways, over the last year I have been working hard on making a replacement for the game. I've always wanted to make a mobile version that you could play anywhere so that's what I decided to do. I am fairly fluent in Unity so I decided to write the game using that game engine.

Needless to say I'm running out of time. January 1st is just over a week away and I am not done the game. I will say it's VERY close to being done... well, at least done enough that I can put the game in the google play store and the apple app store. After it's released I will continue working on it constantly be adding new features, new towers, etc.

The game will be free to play, but I don't plan on making the same mistake I made with this tower defense game. I spend about $1000 a year to keep this site running, most of which are the hosting costs. The site's over a decade old so if you do the math you know how much the sites cost me. I think I've made maybe $500 from google ads (everyone has ad blockers) and maybe $200 from people buying things in the store. So the new game will have ads (the ones where you don't have to watch. But if you choose to watch them you get stuff).

Realistically, I hope to have the game done and published to the stores by the end of January. That's my goal. I really hope if/when the tower defense game on this site is unplayable, you all come back from time to time to check for updates to the new game.

I would like to give a big thanks to all the loyal players on this site. I truly appreciate the fact you enjoy the game I made. I hope the new game (which I hope to be bigger and better) is something you'll try and share with your friends.

Thanks,
Sparticus

chaosinmotionlvl 103
I should be looking for a job!
Nerd

Posted: 12/22/2020 6:04:33 PM

I want to thank you Sparticus - I can't say "hours" of fun because if you look at my stats I think cumulatively I have played for at least a year (I don't want to know exactly)! Not time wasted though as I like to listen to podcasts and play this game. I don't know what I'll do with myself when it's gone. I've never liked playing games on mobile. :-( But anyway, thank you so much for creating this game and keeping up as long as you have with your real life going on and everything. I truly appreciate it and wish you well in the years to come.
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 12/22/2020 6:52:50 PM

Thanks chaosinmotion for your kind words. :)

I hope for those that want to keep playing we'll find a way to make it happen. It might be as simple as installing a version of a browser that hasn't been updated to the latest version that still has flash. Like In said, I'm going to keep the game and site running.

I wish you and your family a safe, happy and healthy holidays :)
LordUzUzlvl 66
adicted...

Posted: 12/27/2020 11:59:27 PM

Don't want to stand back when it comes to saying "Thank you" Sparticus!
I've really enjoyed this pice of software and - as I can see in the stats - spent way to much time with it ;-)
Thanks for the effort programming and maintaining it!
Godspeed for your new game, stay healthy and happy!

Cheers UzUz
Willemlvl 98
¡²

Posted: 12/28/2020 3:04:32 AM

Thank You , Sparticus.

Looking out for the new version. :)

Greetings and all the best for 2021

Wim
Posilvl 77

Posted: 12/30/2020 9:46:00 AM

Thank you Sparticus for the Game and the nice time it spend

Greetings and all the best for 2021

P.S. maybe Ruffel can let us play BTG in the future
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruffle_(software))
jackrelvl 98
Play Mobile Version !

Posted: 1/5/2021 3:04:45 AM

Hello, Happy New Year.

2021: I m still playing BTG 1.0 Flash Version, best Browser Game ever.

Looking forward Version 2.0 and will try that for sure.

Thank you Sparticus for all your hard work.

Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/5/2021 8:38:29 AM

Ya, I am noticing the game is still working right now for me too. I'm guessing the game will stop working for you whenever your browser auto-updates to the latest version. Not sure when that will happen :)

Posted: 1/10/2021 1:22:11 AM

Still, Good luck.
MainstreaMlvl 85
Well it's been fun. CU all l8r...
Geek

Posted: 1/11/2021 11:30:42 PM

12 01 2021 sadest day in my cyberlife.
Some build-in routine in Flash prevents it from executing.

@Sparticus: Thank you for life, the universe and everything else...
and could you please reserve us the same name/password combination in the new version?

See you all in 2.0

MainstreaM
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/12/2021 8:58:42 AM

Oh no.... I guess it's official. I just tried too and I can't play either. It's completely blocked :(

I continue to work on the 2.0 version of the game everyday. I hope for all of you interested in playing it you visit the site from time to time checking for updates.

Thanks again to all of you for playing the game over the years. I appreciate you all and look forward to the next chapter :)

Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/12/2021 9:05:16 AM

And yes, I will make sure all of have your usernames reserved in the new version.
weeNerlvl 78

Posted: 1/12/2021 4:43:27 PM

Hey Sparticus

Re version 2

Do you have a github?
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/12/2021 7:10:18 PM

I do have all my code in Github but the code is not public. Sorry :)
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/31/2021 10:32:09 AM

Hey all, I just wanted to write a quick message to let you know I am still continuing to work on version 2.0 every day. It is progressing nicely and is looking great.

I will say I underestimated just how much work was involved to get this over the finish line. This month I purchased a bunch of servers to host everything and have set them all up. I have been working on little things like in game mail, account screens, scripts to validate scores, etc. It's a lot of work.

Anyways, I thought I give you a little update. There is still a decent amount of work to do... as I don't feel comfortable releasing a game that's not polished and bug free. But I promise you I am working hard to get it done asap.

Page :1234567
Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy