BTG FORUMSPage :12
Forums -> News & Announcements -> Multiplayer BTGTD. Add your ideas here!
The GeekMessage
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 8/11/2011 7:29:26 AM

Hey all,

Just want to give you an update on what I have been working and hopefully you can give some feedback.

I have finished a multiplayer lobby for the site. The lobby is pretty sweet and is in all real time. I have also programmed the lobby so it works on facebook AND on this site. That means any multiplayer games you play can be against people on this site and on facebook at the same time. This will increase the amount of users available to play with you by a massive amount. I am not releasing the lobby just yet as it will soon be released to a select group of beta testers to make sure it's bug free.

Here's where I need your help. The first game I will make multiplayer is BTGTD. What features did you want in it? How did you want the multiplayer version to work?

Here are my thoughts...

As of right now I'm thinking a game will support 2 to 12 players. Once the game starts, you will see on the right hand side all the players in your game and their current score/level. Everyone will start level 1 at the same time... then as soon as any player clears level 1, level 2 will start for all players (even if they are not done level 1).

This continues till you lose all your lives. Then we look at the final scores for each player to decide the winner. Keep in mind that if a player is doing really well (and therefore clearing the levels faster than you) you will be overloaded with extra creeps on your screen making it harder for you. You never know when the next level will start as it depends on the fastest player.

Keep in mind, if the player currently in first loses all their lives, you continue to play until you lose all your lives. So, you still have a chance to beat him.

You cannot send waves early in this version of the game.

All powerups will still be available in this mode (and most likely a few special ones will be added).

You will constantly be updated with the current level and scores of the other players on your screen so you know how you are doing.

I am starting development on this today (although I think I can make this all happen fairly quickly).

So if you have any cool ideas you want added to the multiplayer version, give them to me now :)
anonemouse2010lvl 101
L101, back to rhyming for fun
Geek

Posted: 8/11/2011 8:10:09 AM

How about some kind of handicap?
piffielvl 64
who wants to play MP?
Nerd

Posted: 8/12/2011 9:50:18 AM

There are a lot of multiplayer towerdefence possibilities.

the one i really love is, that you send killed creeps once to the others (with no money bonus, and no point bonus)
therefore it really gets tricky on how you kill and prepare...

The second one is, that with the money earned you can also send a extra wave (maybe cur. lvl) to the others (or with a powerup)

but definitly, you should think of the points you can earn. some kind of elo ranking...
anonemouse2010lvl 101
L101, back to rhyming for fun
Geek

Posted: 8/12/2011 10:01:18 AM

A power-up which sends waves to the other people would be a great idea piffie.
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 8/12/2011 12:12:55 PM

ya, i like the idea of sending creeps to other... maybe at the cost of XX gold you can send some extra creeps to all opponents. I will also have some form of an elo ranking system too.
Aguchilvl 33

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:18:39 PM

hi!

is it ok for me to post my ideas?
i am not a programmer.

is it to late?
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 8/15/2011 1:09:11 PM

Post any ideas you have. What kind of things would you like to see in a multiplayer version of the game? :)
Aguchilvl 33

Posted: 8/15/2011 3:12:36 PM

cool!

i have ideas for a few modes.

how do i star this?

1 mode: last guy standing.
just for example... there is a clock and it says 100 hours ^^.
the game starts and the clock is going backwards.
10h passed. its at 90 and the guy with the least points/score is out.
20h passed the clock is at 80 and the next one has to leave and so on.... till only 1 is left^^

2 mode: co op
in this mode people dont play vs other people.
so... basicly eacht player gets one sort of tower.
player xx: normal tower
player abc: fast ones
player qwertz: range towers
well and so on
except one... the player with the slow tower should also get +% tower.
cuz he cant shoot stuff^^
this mode should be all about teamplay.

3 mode: switched sides
just for example!
a game is 100 h long ^^.
and it has 2 sides.
1 side: the one with the towers
2 side: the one who sends the creeps.
after 50 h the switches.
the tower team has now the creeps and creepy them the towers.

thats it. thanks for reading.
you probably noticed my bad english. iam sorry for that!
njulianlvl 67
010 001 111
Geek

Posted: 8/16/2011 8:48:23 AM

@Auguchi: great ideas, but only with times like 10 up to 120 minutes.

I thought about a "training" against an AI.

I also thought of a "mirror mode". This mode can be played on symetrical maps only. If a player places a tower, his opponent gets a tower at the opposite spot for free. So if you build a maze all by your own, you will help the other player. Upgrading and selling shouldn't be mirrored.
This can be played with an AI too.
Kenny87lvl 41
... it's... finally... there?!?

Posted: 8/18/2011 6:35:03 AM

Equal to what others have written before i did (so this is just a collection of examples)...

- - -
Theres a game quite equal to what you've written- "Creepsmash"

http://www.creeptd.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtxSkEb-D5M&feature=related

I think what was missing there (and the reason for me 2 join BtG ;) ) was the design and no new features. Also there were not lot of possibilities to create different strategies cause of missing possibilities in building/using different towers- not well balanced... BUT it was great to choose if you spent your money on building new towers or sending "creeps" to the others.
There's also another game dealing with the PvP thing... "desktop td"- also quite good one.

- - -

Second idea- in remembrance of Warcraft III TDF:
It was always great when defending the big tree (the bad monsters where aiming for) together with other people- even without a highscore or some sence making thing...- so its a coop. (Healthy Human beeings- and not just they- are always interested in acting together ;) BUT there is also a score who killed most monsters... cause even when fighting together... everyone wants to be first^^ )

- - -

Most important things in mp games that may in principle not miss (I will not write down the things that already are done well, like score-system, forum, community, ^^, ...):

LIVE-Chat. (!!!!!!)
AND
Possibility to SEE what the others are doing (maybe you can connect this with the "buy replay" funktion- during the mp-game everyone can set and change a price for their game... and if the opponents wanna see what somebody is doing they have to pay to see the gameplay- live).

- - -

for a lot of (younger) people a fixed structured but editable avatar and to see the monsters (as a cartoon... like a "pokedex" ), than its easier to identify with) are realy important...
(I'm doing studies about pathological computergaming... if this is of interest i can write some more... but now the real life (actually looking jammi :D) is calling me^^)

PS Sorry for unstructured writing... and i havent written in english for a long time... so dont be mad about mistakes ^^
njulianlvl 67
010 001 111
Geek

Posted: 8/20/2011 5:09:27 PM

New idea °YAY°

When I played Desktop TD I saw the creep that speeds up at straigt ways. I thought this is a great idea, but simply copying it? So I thought of the opposite, an creep that speeds up with every turn it does.
Kenny87lvl 41

Posted: 8/22/2011 6:06:48 AM

Two stimuli... but not MP (so its a lil bit offtopic)

Kingdom Rush- one of the best (tdf) games i ever played. AI is well done and its def an eyecatcher.
http://armorgames.com/play/12141/kingdom-rush

New Idea... yeah... perfect sound :)
http://armorgames.com/play/12223/symphonic-tower-defense
njulianlvl 67
010 001 111
Geek

Posted: 8/22/2011 9:53:39 AM   (Edited: 8/22/2011 9:57:59 AM)

When I posted my creep idea, I thought it could be available only in the multiplayer version of BTG.

When I played the musikTD, that Kenny posted, I had a really crzy idea. I thought of something like the 'Media Tracker' from the game 'Track Mania'. Of course all the funktions of the Media Tracker aren't necessary. But simple things like Text elements, flashing lights, add sonds and music, and other small effects. It should be possible to trigger the effects to a wave or to xx minutes playing time.

For those, who don't know Track Mania and it's Media Tracker look here:

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
I know, you have to search a bit...
Kenny87lvl 41

Posted: 12/17/2011 3:57:01 PM

Hey! Long time has passed... Will there be a Multiplayer?

(Otherwise I dont need my account anymore ;) )
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 12/19/2011 7:19:22 AM

It coming, I promise. I have the multiplayer lobby all done but the game isn't ready yet. I also have it all set up so you'll be able to compete against player on facebook as well.

Ill try and get it done soon.
 Page :12
Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy