BTG FORUMS
Forums -> Suggestions & Feedback -> limiting amounts of specific towers
The GeekMessage
landronnlvl 44
:D
Nerd

Posted: 1/6/2011 10:15:25 PM   (Edited: 1/6/2011 10:22:40 PM)

my apologies for not being able to find the thread about limiting numbers of tower to tack this onto but here goes...

my thought was when sparticus gets to work on the code for limiting the number of towers in a tournament, perhaps it would not be much more code/effort to give us the ability to limit the amount of specific towers that could be built.

this would open up a lot more possibilities for map designers, allow them to limit towers that might abuse certain maps they are making, and challenge players to find a non-traditional way to deal with a map that is normally handled a certain way.

as an added bonus we could also regulate towers in the future that seem to be over powered like the lava tower as new towers are created and untested. for example, a map designer could limit the number of lava towers instead of outright removing them so they could still be used but not abused until a fix is created ;)

there seems to be a trend of tourneys that have very limited numbers of towers to be avoided instead of taken up as a challenge. perhaps if map makers could create the challenge with limiting the towers they were going to remove they might have more participation.

just a thought :)
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 1/7/2011 4:56:18 AM

i think this could be a fine solution.
in game it could be visualized as a overlay number on the tower select icon.
i like the idea.
Nerd

Posted: 1/7/2011 6:21:15 AM

I like it too, I've been hoping to have the tower limit feature implemented.

I think that if this is done, the limitation needs to be among the info available on the tournament screen - just as we've also had discussions about graphically showing available powerups and customizations. I think players need to know in advance what they're getting into, before spending gold on a new tournament.
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 1/7/2011 6:33:09 AM

in my opinion there's no need to show every little tweak tone to the tournament. all you need to know is if it's a waste of time or not. and this is communicated in tournament comments (usually)
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 1/7/2011 6:49:37 AM

Ya that's a good idea. When I get around to implementing this feature I can make it so the map creator will be able to limit the total number of towers built AND/OR the total number of each tower built. That way if you want to limit the number of volcano towers on your map to one you can.

Nerd

Posted: 1/7/2011 7:02:34 AM

I'm not saying every little feature has to be explained... but I think that, for example, a simple 8-box grid showing the towers, with "X" across the ones not available, would be easy to implement and not overwhelm the page; similarly for showing which powerups were available.

I think if everyone got a free look at a game it'd be one thing, but I get annoyed at some of the price inflation we're seeing, having to pay 20 or more gold just to enter a game, and then find out it's a juggler or that my customizations (purchased at 25 gold per point) are useless.
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 1/7/2011 11:15:32 AM

customisation points are important to show. i agree
but the rest...
no selling = no juggling guaranteed.
selling yes = juggling possible. there's no simple algorithm that would recognize a juggling-map. that's what comments are for. and what are 20 gps? nothing. if it was really bad to play, warn the others and play a standard map ;)
or make more own maps :D
landronnlvl 44
Nerd

Posted: 1/7/2011 12:14:14 PM   (Edited: 1/7/2011 8:45:16 PM)

lordcrumb,

most importantly, i really like the idea of overlay numbers as a clean way to inform the player.

as a minor side note, you said "and what are 20 gps? nothing." the only thing i saw in sierrajeff's post referring to 20 was tourneys that had an entry fee of 20 or more Gp and i see them all the time. there are 4 at the time of this posting. if you meant something else then i apologize for the misunderstanding.
landronnlvl 44
Nerd

Posted: 1/7/2011 8:44:54 PM

i picture the numbers counting down as each tower is placed and of course the number should go back up by one if a tower is sold. hopefully if this idea is used then there will be no numbers on the unlimited towers.

a tiny tweak for sparticus to remember is for the border around the tower to stay red if no more can be placed since there is current code to turn it green based on $ ;)
alchemistlvl 42
Want - to - play - a - game ?
Geek

Posted: 1/8/2011 9:15:22 AM

I like this idea alot.

I would also like to resurrect an idea I posted a long time ago about letting map creators add towers to a map. E.G. You could make the map no volcano - but stick one volcano on there for the player. Or you could make a specific maze etc. This would allow us to make 'puzzle' maps.
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 1/8/2011 10:04:13 AM

i thought about this, too. could give amazing riddles, combined with 'no selling' for example :D
Nerd

Posted: 1/8/2011 1:00:16 PM

I agree with alchemist re being able to place towers in a map -- I'd had a similar idea.

I think tournament creation pricing should be adjusted (down). I'm not saying it should be super cheap to make maps, but even a simple map costs 100s if it's up for more than a few hours. I think the duration cost could be cut in half without it resulting in a glut of poorly designed noob maps.

Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy