BTG FORUMS
Forums -> BTG Tower Defence -> Game tips and instructions for total newbies?
The GeekMessage
mungolinalvl 9
thanks Sparticus and well done

Posted: 1/3/2011 11:21:17 AM

Hi - I only discovered this game today; I'm not a geek but I'm definitely an addict... this is causing havoc to my RSI!

Have looked (albeit briefly) and can't see a thread with general tips and instructions for total newbies such as myself, could you point the way to anything (not the FAQs, they aren't what I want) - I am especially interested in volcano towers which I think I'm not understanding the workings of properly.

Thanks for this site and thanks for the game! Trouble is I think I'm going to die of starvation, I can't leave to eat...
kistelvl 34

Posted: 1/3/2011 11:48:45 AM

Hi,

watch some replays of all time best scores in those easy maps. They give the basic tactics. Every map although might need some modifications.

I've watched one of your replays. You had too many towers which were half upgraded. Concentrate on one tower to upgrade first to the maximum, then upgrade the next tower(this is only true for towers which are not the pellet tower ;))
4ximquadratlvl 10
zzz...

Posted: 1/3/2011 12:25:54 PM

It's a good tactic to start with four pellet towers in a row and then place a rapid tower. Upgrade the rapid towers until level 3. Then the yellow/green creeps, which stay together come. You build now while you send the next wave with pellet towers as fast as possible a giant maze and the creeps die. Then you wait until 75 gold and you buy level 4 of the red tower. After that you pay 190 and upgrade to level 5. Now it can onehit many creeps. Sell now one pellet tower and build a purple tower. Upgrade it until level 6 and you are saved for many levels. You may send now more waves at the same time, when the creeps have less than 1200 lives. The purple tower will kill them all with two shots. then you can build a first ice tower to slow down the creeps and a second purple tower. If you have three purple towers on level 6, you may start to buy volcano towers or rapid towers. Rapid towers are strong on the highest level, and volcanos are very strong when supported with the surge towers. Now you can beat the creeps until the last levels in easy tournaments. With special maps, you can't use this tactic.

What this review, it'll probably help you: http://www.beatthegeek.com/games/TowerDefence/tournamentResults.asp?tournid=2282

4ximquadrat

PS: Sry for my bad english^^, I hope you understand it.
mungolinalvl 9

Posted: 1/3/2011 4:02:04 PM

Thanks guys! kiste, very good tip on the part-upgraded thing - 4xim, I'm a bit confused at the moment about which are pellet towers, which are rapid towers, etc., but I'm sure I'll work it out if I follow it through and watch some more replays. Appreciate the feedback.
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 1/4/2011 2:43:32 AM

a brief instruction to the vulcano tower:
F -key to fire (it autofires when amount of lava is above 100)
Shift-click on a creep to target it first

(clicking on a creep - marks it red - and priorizes it for all other towers)

and... as it is now... when you get short with lava, buy time to fill up - kills the gameplay, fortunately there are maps where it can't be done

general instruction:
- creeps take the shortest way --> sell the right tower at the right time and replace it before the creeps get out of your maze ---> juggling
- the longer you wait buying time or score points, the more you get
- spend your level-up-points on your profile page
- have fun
4ximquadratlvl 10
zzz...

Posted: 1/4/2011 5:03:25 AM   (Edited: 1/4/2011 5:23:03 AM)

Pellet towers are the yellow towers for 5 gold, and the rapid tower is the red one for 15 gold.

Edit: There's an example for juggling: http://www.beatthegeek.com/games/TowerDefence/tournamentResults.asp?tournid=2306

Look at my review, I did the last level with this cheap tactic^^
mungolinalvl 9

Posted: 1/11/2011 6:57:14 PM

Oh - thank you all! and thanks for turning this into a sticky.

Tips from me for other newbies:
- read the 'how to play' and strategy tips published at the top of the tournaments (buttons) (yes - rtfm!)
- Use gps in your profile to buy power ups
- watch lots of other people's games!
- play lots, playing breeds level points and I think (not sure) gbs (but I may be wrong about that)
- if not get a nice person to buy a view to one of your games

Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy