BTG FORUMS
Forums -> News & Announcements -> Volcano Towers
The GeekMessage
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 3/25/2011 1:49:56 PM

I have now changed the volcano tower so it fills with lava slightly slower. Too many people complained that it was overpowered (in fact many people turned off volcano towers in their tournaments for that reason). If more changes are needed to it I'll make it after seeing how this change plays out.

For those interested : (number are only approximate. As I don't remember if I rounded up or down and am too lazy right now to check :P)

LPM = lava/minute

Level 1 : Was 14 LPM, Now 14 LPM
Level 2 : Was 24 LPM, Now 22 LPM
Level 3 : Was 33 LPM, Now 27 LPM
Level 4 : Was 43 LPM, Now 34 LPM
Level 5 : Was 54 LPM, Now 40 LPM
Level 6 : Was 64 LPM, Now 45 LPM

Posted: 3/28/2011 1:14:09 PM

In my opinion it is too much.. thats a reduction of 30% and now volcanos are "useless".
Why didnt you make a voting before you make such a decision !?
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 3/28/2011 1:37:59 PM

I did. The discussion happened a few months ago. If people feel I reduced it too much I can increase it a bit. Nothing is permanent.
landronnlvl 44
:D
Nerd

Posted: 3/28/2011 2:52:18 PM

it hasn't been in place long enough to know yet.

i can say that on tourney 3615 jackre and i used a lava solution and nearly doubled everyone else's scores so i wouldn't call it "useless." that being said the tourney seems very upgrade heavy and not a good test.

there are a few standard tourneys that i could definitely get a much higher score with lava than without that i have not been able to test yet (or haven't come up in rotation yet) to see what kind of effect the change has had.

the basic problem that was being addressed was the ability to score 30-40% higher than any other strategy using nothing but lava.

here is the original discussion for anyone who missed it...
http://www.beatthegeek.com/forum/forum3.asp?f1_id=230&f2_id=300

will update this thread again once some actual testing has been done with some actual numbers and would encourage everyone else to do the same.

Posted: 3/28/2011 5:10:00 PM

Thanks for your efforts !
Lets make a long-therm study about the volcanos ! :-)

landronnlvl 44
:D
Nerd

Posted: 4/15/2011 12:55:32 AM   (Edited: 4/15/2011 12:59:09 AM)

unfortunately work has taken over my life for the past two weeks working (put in over 100 hours one week) so i haven't been able to follow this up even though i'm sure my absence in the GTs has been welcomed =P

it is more unfortunate that nobody else followed up this thread or tested the lava on boards they had benchmark lava only scores on :(

anyway, here is my analysis on "the hot 100. 1 life! 30 initial powerups!" tourney since it was the board that the original point was made on.

back in the day i would make it to lvl 89 with standard play.

when i changed to lava i could finish all 100 levels and have 44 powerups left over!!!

with the change to lava playing the same way i can only make it to level 81 before dying. had i not had the initial 30 powerups i would have ran out at level 67 and died to level 68 without time to build up lava for it.

so realistically i went from smashing a normal play score to scoring about 25% less if it were a standard board with no initial powerups. i might also be able to post higher standard scores now than i used to but my lava score is not going to improve.

if the goal is for the lava solution to be equal and fair to standard solutions as an additional strategy, then i think that it was weakened a little too much. perhaps the sweet spot would fall between 20-25% reduction instead of 30% but would have to be tested to figure out.

IMHO

Lan

Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy