BTG FORUMSPage :12
Forums -> News & Announcements -> Want your tournament to become official? Read me!
The GeekMessage
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 10/22/2010 7:58:30 AM

Do you want your map to become part of the offical map rotation?

If so, let me know!

I see many cool map designs out there, but I never know when you feel you are completely happy with your tournament. Sometimes you create a tournament, run it, then tweak it a bit and run it again.

Once you feel it's pretty much done, let me know. If it's a good map I'll add it.

MidgetManlvl 19
reached new heights and is now level 40! :)
Geek

Posted: 10/22/2010 8:42:38 AM

After a map that is made, created, and played by those allowed to play it, public or private, you should make it so the creator gets asked by the system "If Sparticus or any other admin/mod likes you map, and will add it as an official map in thge map rotation, would you be fine with it?" this way we don't need to beg you for which maps get picked or not, the people with maps that don't want them official can keep them down, the people who want theirs official still have the chance, and we don't need to message you about it even - you can just check if the person wanted their map made official if the option was given.
ziggystarlvl 14

Posted: 10/22/2010 8:53:48 AM

I have designed a map, but I don't have any friends (because I'm a geek?). So no one will ever be albe to play the map.
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 10/22/2010 9:25:00 AM

Why not just add people as friends? Go view the top 100 players in the community pages ansd start adding some of them. If you made a cool map I'm sure they'd want to try it out.
alchemistlvl 42
Want - to - play - a - game ?
Geek

Posted: 10/22/2010 10:04:54 AM

This is why the friends system is a little flawed - you may as well make everyone friends of everyone else and just add a 'block' option.

Ot maybe show tournaments created by the friends of your friends
ziggystarlvl 14

Posted: 10/22/2010 10:40:17 AM   (Edited: 10/22/2010 11:26:58 AM)

I think the way alchemist does. Why the heck should I make someone that I have neither talked to nor met or anything, someone who just happens to have an account on the same website as I do, a "friend" of mine?

@Sparticus
If I were to follow your proposal; in order to save me and some other guys without friends the hassle, please make a button on my profile settings "add 10 random people as friends".
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 10/22/2010 11:22:02 AM

Hmm, I see your point.

The problem I have is there might be 20-50 private games made a day. Do you really want that many new tournaments showing up on your tournament selection screen? You could have 150+ tournaments available to join at any time. Might look a bit cluttered.

It would take me 2 seconds to make it so tournaments made by someone would be available to all... i'm just not sure that's what you want.

I'm open to suggestions :)
ziggystarlvl 14

Posted: 10/22/2010 11:30:19 AM   (Edited: 10/22/2010 11:33:42 AM)

Maybe you should implement a rating system (5 stars, as usual). Then only list top and newest maps. For the other maps, you'd need to do a click or two (show next page). Also let the people write a short description of their maps additional to the title.

Actually since you can earn "money" by creating good maps, the competition with hundreds of others seems reasonable.

Maybe you can let people rate in more categories (but probably not more than 3): e.g. "Coolness" and "Difficulty"
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 10/22/2010 11:44:37 AM   (Edited: 10/22/2010 11:45:48 AM)

How about this...

I make it so that every tournament someone makes automatically becomes available to all (unless the creator specifically only wants to invite thier friends).

Each tournament (that is available to all) will give each player the option to vote on it. They can give it a rating from 0 to 5 stars.

After a tournament has been voted on by at least 10 different people, if the rating is below 3 stars, that tournament automatically ends (points awarded etc). Therefore only tournaments people enjoyed playing will remain.

Thoughts?

Edit: If I go this route, I like the "Coolness", "Difficulty", etc.
ziggystarlvl 14

Posted: 10/22/2010 11:52:41 AM

I don't see the benefit of closing bad tournaments (less than 3 stars). This won't limit the number of ongoing tournies, because it doesn't scale to a larger player base. Why not just hide the worse ones on the next page?

Another thing to think about is whether players rate maps or tournaments. Because if you reschedule the same map again, will it have to earn the rating again?
Peekapooladylvl 15
Leaving for a Caribbean cruise in 3 days!! WOOT WO

Posted: 10/22/2010 11:54:23 AM

I like the idea of voting on maps. You get a thumbs up from me.
I also like the idea of being able to play all the maps since sometimes I see maps that look awesome but I can't play because I'm not yet their friend.
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 10/22/2010 12:05:25 PM

as long as the page is new, the friends system works well for me as it is. i added about 150 friens (somewhat those above leve 4). for tournaments i uncheck those that don't level up, as they are not online very often. after some weeks i "unfriend" those who did not come up to 6 or so. when i see someone scoring in official ones i look if he's friend already and ad if not. no effort, done fast: cool as it is.

for making tournaments official: i guess 1 year more, the system with asking sparticus will do it. you'll have to ask first in trash talk if people like it as soon as it's started. whe there are positive feedbacks, ask sparticus and he can look into that talk and do what he wants.

for long term, a rating system makes sense. but i would not make a checkbox in the tournament editor. i'd place it in the tournament view under the trash talk or on the left side for the creator if that's possible. the process would be:
- people are rating while tournament is running
- perhaps no complaints about gameplay in trash talk
- tourny has more than 4.5 rating out of 5 and more than 12 votes
- creator is happy and checks "make official"
- after tourny ended and rating still is above 4.5 it gets official
(- if someone posts a good idea, the creator can uncheck before tourny ends)
Nerd

Posted: 10/22/2010 12:34:21 PM

I like the idea of reversing the default, make all tournaments open unless the creator restricts it to friends. Like Ziggystar and alchemist, I'm not really the befriending type [just 'cause when I'm on here I'm focused on play, not banter; no offense at all intended of course].

So I'd enjoy creating a map and letting people have at it (even if they harsh on it) than to have to 'friend' random people that I don't know [again, meaning no offense].
alchemistlvl 42
Want - to - play - a - game ?
Geek

Posted: 10/22/2010 1:43:13 PM   (Edited: 10/22/2010 1:56:15 PM)

Yes please open all tournaments -
Yes please add rating system
Yes please add different criteria markers on the tournament - e.g. no reverse - quick sell - over 60 rounds as information on the tournament page.
Yes please add these as check boxes to the tournament page so I can filter for the type of games I like.
Yes please highlight games that my 'friends' are competing in.
Yes please let me pick my 'favourite' maps so they rise to the top of the list

Rating system is the way to go > As time marches on there will be more and more tournaments - and even bad tournaments should show up somewhere > this will also make your selections into the regular rotation and Saturday easier.

Londcrumb - wow - you must have lots of time on your hands to manage your friend list manually like that

:-)
Thank you
lordcrumblvl 100
yay
Geek

Posted: 10/22/2010 2:58:12 PM

not at all. i spent 3 minutes adding peoples in community section. since then about 1 minute more to add new geeks i found scoring in tournaments i play. no effort at all ;P
 Page :12
Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy