BTG FORUMS
Forums -> News & Announcements -> BeatTheGeek Update Sept 23rd, 2010
The GeekMessage
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 9/23/2010 2:26:10 PM   (Edited: 9/23/2010 2:26:40 PM)

Ok, quite a few changes to mention. Here we go :

New Tournament Results Page

This page has been completely redisgned with lots of new features. I'll explain those below.

Only Your best Score Counts!
Feel free to enter a tournament as many times as you want. Only your best score will count and only your best score will receive experience and geek points. Also, if you enter the tournament 20 times, it will only count you as 1 entry into that tournament.

But What About My Other Scores? *cry*
Don't worry, you are still able to see all your scores for that tournament by clicking the "My Tournament Results" button.

Top 25 Scores Of All Time
You'll also notice another button to see the top 25 scores of all time. This show you the top 25 scores for this map ever recorded. So if this tournament is hosted 100 different times, this will show you who got the best scores (and if the replay price is set you can even watch them)

Your Top 25 Scores
I now also record your best 25 scores of all time for each particular map. :)

Bonus Prizes To The Top Players
The top 3 players in each tournament will get extra geek points. If the tournament was free to join (no geek points price was set), then 1st gets an additional 100 gp, 2nd gets an additional 50 gp and third gets an additional 25 gp.

If there was a price to join it works different. 1st place gets an additional 40% of all geek points spent to enter, 2nd gets 25% and 3rd gets 15%.

Experience Handed Out Is Based On Number Of Entries
I'll explain this more later in the FAQ, but bascailly the more unique people that enter a tournament, the more experience points will be awarded "to all players". So if you join a tournament and it ends with 5 entries, you won't get much. If you enter a tournament that ends with 50+ entries, you'll get much more. As always, the better you do, the more you get.

Editing Tournaments That Are Already Running
This is something I hope all people that create tournaments read. If you create you own tournament, you are free to edit it all you want. However, once you start a tournament, it now has it's very own "Top 25 Scores of all time" table, etc. Obviously if you edit that tournament after it has already run(ie. made the creeps harder), you change what scores are possible and therefore your Top 25 Scores are invalid.

To overcome this issue I made the following change. If you create a tournament and then start it... any future changes to that tournament will spawn a new tournament for you to edit. You'll know this has happened when you see 2 copies of the same tournament in your list. You can always delete any unwanted tournaments you have created.

Editing a tournament that you've never started will not spawn a copy.

The Golden Ticket!
Remains a secret for now :)

Other changes
- Now when you create a tournament you are required to invite at least 5 people to your tournament before you can start it. This was done to help prevent people from creating tournaments and only inviting themselves (and thus getting free geekpoints/exp)

- I haven't added this yet (but will latr today). all tournaments will automatically end after 2 days if no end date was set. There are a few tournaments that have been running for a week now with no end in sight.

- The cost in geek points has been raised when setting the max players to enter your tournament (an when setting the end time). Before some tournaments would end after 50 people joined.... but with the recent changes it won't end until it reaches 50 unique players.... So, in other words, setting a tournament to 15 players could easily still have 50 entries (as people play more than once).

IMPORTANT: Level Changes Incoming
Due to the fact that the way experience and geek points are given out, the level scale will need to change. This is because you only receive exp/gp for your best score in a tournament (and therefore you will earn exp/gp slower). Everyone's level will change within the next week (it will go down). Please don't worry, everyone will drop the same amount so your relation to all other users will remain the same.

The above is also necessary for the next big feature of the site that I will start making next.

I'm sure there are other things I added but that's all I can think of now. Let me know if anything isn't working.

P.S. I apologize for the poor spelling and grammer. I'm a programmer, english class wasn't my best subject... and I can be bad for proof reading :)
StereoPaniclvl 21
Big Money! Big Prizes! I love it!

Posted: 9/23/2010 2:45:18 PM

Love the changes. Kudos to you.
carlninilvl 27
is sleepy :'(
Geek

Posted: 9/23/2010 2:50:15 PM

but! if a tournament cost 15gp to enter, and i enter 3 time, i will gte the money for my best only, so i wont get the gp to remake my gp
carlninilvl 27
Geek

Posted: 9/23/2010 2:58:06 PM

you have say that if we put a 50 players max, we need 50 different player

but there are only 7 different player , and the map say there are 21 gp
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 9/23/2010 3:08:15 PM

I'm not quite sure what you question/issue is carlnini is. Basically, for every entry in a tournament (that costs gp to join) the prize pool will grow. Sure, if you enter 3 times if you best is 20th place you won't get back your gp... but that's the risk you take. On the other hand, if you got 1st, you could make a few hundred gp....

carlninilvl 27
Geek

Posted: 9/23/2010 3:44:04 PM

hmm, ok :)
PhaElvl 34
Geek

Posted: 9/23/2010 3:45:52 PM

Wow, just wow.

Great updates!

Really curious about the willy-wonka-golden-ticket :P

(By the way, on mouse-over, the golden ticket says "Geek points".)
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 9/23/2010 3:56:29 PM

Thanks, fixed the golden ticket mouse over :)

I can't say much about the golden tickets just yet... I'll keep you guessing for a bit longer :P
StereoPaniclvl 21
Big Money! Big Prizes! I love it!

Posted: 9/23/2010 4:32:45 PM

So if a tournament costs 15 GP to enter is that 15 GP and then I can play it as many times as I like only keeping my best score? Or is it 15 each time I play?
carlninilvl 27
Geek

Posted: 9/23/2010 4:58:33 PM

15 gp each time if i understand
Zodiaclvl 9
has a combined total of 15,000,000 keys clicks
Nerd

Posted: 9/23/2010 5:17:17 PM

The golden tickets need to be moved a bit to the right to line up with GP (Firefox 3.6.10 Vista)
Zodiaclvl 9
has a combined total of 15,000,000 keys clicks
Nerd

Posted: 9/23/2010 5:19:25 PM

"If there was a price to join it works different. 1st place gets an additional 40% of all geek points spent to enter, 2nd gets 25% and 3rd gets 15%."

Does the creator get 100% like before or the remaining 20%? do we also get GP based on every entry, or every person. If so, if there a way to see how many games have been played (not just amount of users)?
alchemistlvl 42
Want - to - play - a - game ?
Geek

Posted: 9/23/2010 5:22:58 PM

Excellent updates - good stuff!

Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 9/23/2010 8:42:10 PM

If a tournament costs 15 gp to enter, you will need to pay the 15 gp every time you enter.

As people enter, the prize pool grows and grows... and is split up amongst the top 3 players (the left over 20% is just my way to trying to get back some of the gp handed out).

I did change it so that the creator of an unoffical tournament now only gets 50% of what was in the prize pool.... So, if it cost 10gp to enter, and 100 entries were made, that would mean the price pool is 1000 gp. 400gp to 1st, 250gp to 2nd, 150gp to 3rd and the creator gets 500gp as well. I know it doesn't add up to 100%... but that's okay. Keep in mind the creator of the tournament can win their own tournament and get lots of gp.
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 9/24/2010 8:15:25 AM

Nevermind, tourny hosts get 100% as well like before....

Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy